Tuesday 14 January 2014

David Crisp-Hihn 1950-2013


David Crisp-Hihn died on December 27th 2013, after being admitted to hospital with a stroke on the 15th. He leaves behind his wife, Sandra, four children and a grandchild.

David Crisp was a pupil at King Edward VI School, Southampton when I knew him first. We became friends as a result of belonging to the same Christian Society and both attending Above Bar Interdenominational Church, Southampton. When David obtained a place at New College, Oxford to study Mathematics, he inspired me to apply also, and I was able to attend two years later. We remained firm friends throughout my university years and long after, and he was Best Man at my wedding in 1977, though later we lost touch.

About three and a half years ago we renewed contact (the internet is a wonderful thing) and arranged to go on a walking weekend together. This was so enjoyable we repeated it twice more, walking in Cornwall, the Welsh borders and Norfolk in the last three years. In Norfolk, David was less able to manage the longer walks.

I was blessed to spend these times with my old friend but I did not know how precious and important these last few days would become.

I miss him terribly.

No comments: